Imagine a mountain of paper mail towering before you, a seemingly overwhelming task that demands hours of your precious time. You begin the arduous journey of sorting through countless envelopes, searching for the elusive recipients hidden within.
The minutes turn into hours, and frustration starts to take hold. And then hunting down busy individuals amidst their hectic schedules for signatures. Surely, annoying.
This is where the digital mailroom and eSignature solution comes into play. They are here to rescue us from the clutches of inefficiency and frustration.
What is a digital mailroom?
A digital mailroom is a system where the incoming paper mail is converted into digital form via various document scanning and capture technologies, then those mails are monitored, formatted, and classified for automated processing. And then distributed to respective heads or recipients electronically, eliminating the need for physical delivery.
How does Digital Mailroom work?
Talking about how digital mailroom automation works, first, you receive incoming physical mail from your organization.
The mail is then scanned using Optical Recognition Software (OCR). This software analyzes and classifies the content of the mail, searches for specific keywords, and determines its type, which could be anything like remittance, invoice, insurance claim, etc.
Once classified, the digital version of the mail is made accessible online. It can be assigned to a designated team, department, or recipient, or flagged for manual review if any anomalies are detected.
The recipients can now conveniently access and process their mail on various devices, such as computers, tablets, or mobile devices.
Benefits of digital mailroom
1. Increased efficiency and productivity
Digital mailroom automation completely takes care of the sorting and distribution of your mail digitally. It keeps track of where everything has been sent and when speeding up the process.
Also, Digital mailroom solutions index and store mail electronically in a central location. Your teams can easily locate and access the required documents with a few clicks, enhancing your team collaboration and efficiency and, of course, producing productive output.
2. Reduced costs and environmental impact
If you’re using a traditional mailroom, you must spend a lot on purchasing, storing, and managing papers. At the same time, you’ll have to pay your dedicated staff who handles all the incoming and outgoing mail.
Not to mention the increasing storage cost over time. But opting for a digital mailroom saves you from all the above costs. Additionally, when your demand for paper declines, it automatically reduces the impact associated with paper production, such as deforestation and energy consumption.
3. Enhanced security and compliance
Digital mailroom solutions enhance data security and compliance by incorporating robust security measures like document encryption, audit, and access control. Any unauthorized access can be easily detected.
Additionally, it helps you remain compliant with strict audit requirements. So when there are any new privacy regulations, your organization can quickly comply with them. As a result, it strengthens the backbone of your risk management strategy by centralizing and classifying constructed data.
How digital mailroom and eSignatures can work together
The incoming documents, whether physical or digital, are processed by the digital mailroom system. The documents are analyzed, and those requiring signatures are transferred to the eSignature platform to convert them into a singable format.
Subsequently, they are forwarded to the appropriate recipients. This process may involve sending email notifications or granting access to a web portal, allowing recipients to review and sign the documents electronically.
Once the documents are signed, they are utilized as needed, such as updating databases, triggering workflows, or integrating with other systems. Finally, the processed documents are stored to ensure accessibility and security.
eSignatures are secure and legally binding digital signatures that replace the need for physical document handling. They are recognized as valid signatures in the US. eSignatures offer convenience, accessibility, improved document tracking and security, and time and cost savings by eliminating printing and mailing.
Benefits of integrating digital mailroom and eSignatures
1. Streamlined document processing
Integrating digital mailroom and eSignature streamlines document processing by eliminating the need for physical storage and faster handling of documents.
Advanced technologies such as OCR and intelligent data extraction can automatically extract relevant information from the documents, making it easier to classify and route them to the appropriate recipients.
The integration also offers secure storage and retrieval of digitally signed documents, eliminating the need for filling cabinets and enabling easy access when needed.
2. Enhanced security and compliance
Chances are high that the physical handling of mail is mishandled. But the integration offers cloud storage to ensure the security and confidentiality of incoming mail. So there’s less chance of documents being tampered with or stolen.
The workflow remains secure. Meanwhile, the eSignature provides authentication and encryption while identifying and verifying signatures.
3. Improved customer experience
Integrating digital mailroom and eSignature ensures customers’ mail is promptly received and addressed. That’s possible due to intelligent data routing, which automatically directs documents to respective heads.
Implementation of digital mailroom and eSignatures
When implementing a digital mailroom and eSignature solution, you must assess its suitability for your business. Several factors should be considered, including the nature of your business, the volume of physical mail and document signing requirements, desired automation level, and specific goals.
You can determine whether your business is prepared for implementation by carefully evaluating these factors. If the answer is positive, we’ll discuss some steps, challenges, and solutions while implementing digital mailroom and eSignature.
Steps to implement digital mailroom and eSignatures
Here are a few steps you can follow while implementing digital mailroom and eSignature.
- Identifying business needs and goals: Before integrating digital mailroom solutions and eSignature into your organization, you should identify your business needs and goals. Communicate with shareholders from different departments to understand the bottleneck and inefficiencies in handling existing physical mail and manual signature collection. Are they capable of achieving goals? And then discuss if the integration can maximize the benefits of technology and help achieve goals.
- Selecting the right solution: While choosing the right solution, you must consider factors like functionality, scalability, ease of use, security, cost-effectiveness, etc. Also, consider that the solution aligns with your business goals if it can adopt changes. Then do careful market research. Conduct demos, seek expert recommendations, and then make an informed decision.
- Planning and executing the implementation: Once you’re sure about the integration, plan the implementation. Work with the vendor to configure and customize the system per your organization’s needs. Communicate the implementation steps with different team members. Train your staff on effectively using the digital mailroom and eSignature system and assign them their responsibilities.
Common challenges and how to overcome them
- Resistance to change: Your employees may be used to your organization’s traditional mailroom and signature processes. So they may resist the sudden change. In such a case, you should educate your employees regarding the benefits of digital mailroom automation and eSignatures. And train them how to make the most out of the solution.
- Security concern: Digital mailroom solutions and eSignature deal with confidential data and information. So there’s always a threat of data theft and security concerns. To overcome the problem, you should select a reliable and secure solution provider that complies with regulations such as GDPR and HIPPA to maintain security.
- Unable to integrate with existing systems: Directly implementing the digital mailroom management and eSignature may fail to integrate with the existing system in your organization. That may disturb the whole workflow. You should assess the solution’s compatibility with the existing systems with the help of IT experts.
Now that you know how the combination of a digital mailroom and eSignature offers benefits in terms of efficiency, cost saving, and customer safety, embrace the technologies yourself and stay ahead in the modern business landscape.
Streamline your document processing with Signeasy and enjoy increased efficiency. Start a free trial today and experience the transformation for your organization.