What’s in a project name, you ask?
When chosen well, names can inspire and unify a team like nothing else can. At Signeasy, we’ve been putting time and effort behind naming our projects – both big and small – since 2016.
In fact, the process has now become one of our favorite parts of kickstarting a project. But there’s more to project names than that. Around 56% of people at Signeasy said that it helped build a special connection and bond with the project, while another 44% of agreed that it helped bring them closer as a team.
But before we dig deeper into the meaning behind it all, let’s take a look at how it all began:
How it all started
Back in late 2016, we were working on an exciting new feature: ‘Document Fields’. But somewhere in the back of our minds, we felt that we needed to come up with something that would boost the team’s enthusiasm for the project. And then it hit us: what if we started naming our projects?
The idea was to pick a name that would:
- define the significance or impact of the project
- excite our teammates about the journey on which they are about to embark
- instill a sense of belonging as a team that is working towards a common cause
While we started out by naming our internal projects after the highest mountains in the world, it didn’t take long for us to realize that this could get a little tedious and repetitive. We also felt that it wouldn’t hurt to express a bit of our brand personality via the project names.
And ever since then, there has been no looking back.
5 ways project names have proven to be a powerful tool
Project names have done wonders when it comes to inspiring and bringing our team together. Don’t believe us? Well, we recently ran a company-wide survey to dig a little deeper into the significance of internal project names for Signeasy employees. Here’s what our team had to say:
- 56% of people said that having an internal project name helped build a special connection and bond with the project. 44% of people said that internal project names helped bring them closer as a team.
- 30% of people said that internal project names instilled a sense of ownership towards the project.
- 26% of people said that it made them feel like they were working on a top-priority project.
- 12% of people said that it helped them recollect the details of a project with ease and provide context for a conversation while collaborating
Our all-time favorite project names at Signeasy
We’ve brainstormed a quite a few fun, quirky, and clever project names since the initiative first began. Here are a few projects that are currently underway at Signeasy:
(1) Skateboard – This project is focused on allowing users to sign documents on the mobile web without having to download the app. At 48%, this ranks as our staff’s all-time favourite project name at Signeasy
(2) GoldenPass – The team on this project is working on a 14-day free trial for new users on iOS devices, applicable to any plan. At 22%, this ranks as second-most favorite project name at Signeasy.
(3) Boomerang - Structured around the concept of credit refills, this project is all about offering 1 new credit every month to users on iOS devices. At 19%, this ranks as the third-most popular project name at Signeasy.
(4) Homecoming - It’s been a little more than 7 years since Signeasy started out. While we take pride in building a global product from India, it was only with Aadhaar eSign that we got to create one exclusively for India. And that’s why we aptly named this project - Homecoming. At 15%, this ranks as the fourth-most popular project name at Signeasy.
If you are looking to add a little excitement and fun to your internal projects, we’d highly recommend that you give creative names a shot.